January 5, 2011

Stander-Rander

When Walker was a baby, he would spend hours standing in our laps while we supported his weight.  We loved the feeling of being eye to eye with us.  Grammie Betsy termed this move "stander-rander".  Charlie, as you all know, has been marching to his own drum and because of his stroke, has larger hurdles to leap than most kiddos.  But today, after over two weeks of being sick and bogged down with a lung infection, he reenacted Walker's move.  He is planting both legs firmly in our laps and popping up into an upright position.  His head is up and supported, his spine is aligned and he's using his left leg as much as he is using his right.  We were also able to hold him by the waist instead of under the armpits because his core strength has improved.  As Pa John pointed out, Charlie is really pleased with himself because he smiled and chortled all through his stander-rander performance, which he repeated over and over again.  In fact, we were all smiles.  This is another big moment for Charlie Fighting Bear!  On a separate note, here are some photos from our day:









3 comments:

Betsy said...

You can only imagine how excited I am to hear that Charlie is accomplishing the "stander-rander" moves! Wow! Hooray! Booyah! and all the exclamations printable and more! love you guys! (and Walker's cute Clipper ship sweater!

Connie said...

This is GREAT news!! I'm so excited to hear that Charlie is doing the "stander Rander" move. I'm not personally aquanted with that terminology, but what the heck, I'm excited anyway. YEAH Charlie! Walker is looking pretty cute and much healthier, I might add. Hugs, Happy

Lucy Owen said...

i can't wait until charlie gets to be like 17, 18 years old i can thank him for providing me and your whole community with a pretty constant source of inspiration. this boy! what a wonder he is.