May 26, 2010

Scotland Part 4

We're home from a three day, two night trip to the West Cast of Scotland. It's been a magical three days, which culminated in a much anticipated train ride. Here's the house on the day we set out and a little Viking, ready to meet the road!


First stop was Castle Urquhart on Lock Ness. Walker was very taken with the Trebuchet, which of course is a massive tool for stone throwing - a sport that Walker loves.

Pa John and Walker are looking at a duo of fighter jets that were roaring down the loch.
Then a trip through Glen Coe, one of the most beautiful and trecherous places in West Scotland and also site of the MacDonald Massacre. I've been waiting to visit this place for a long time.
This is a memorial cairn to the slain clan MacDonald.
Walker throwing stones... what's new?
One of the MacDonald houses still standing.
On the road the next morning near Loch Lomond. Walker stole my cone.
Walker at the north end of Loch Lomond.
Castle Kinkirch (1550) near Loch Awe.
On the pier in Oban waiting to board a boat!
Walker testing his sea legs. In the background, the Caledonian ferry taking people out to the western islands.

Scottish seals!

After our boat trip, we needed another ice cream cone! Here we are sharing our cone in the back of Pa John's car.

More stone throwing on a tidal inlet near our B&B in Fort William.
On a street in Fort William.
And on our final day, we boarded the famous Jacobite Steam Train (The one used in Harry Potter). A four hour ride along the Western shore overlooking Skye and Iona. Pretty awesome.
The dock in Moraig where we had lunch and waited for the locamotive to switch directions.

Another ice cream.

And a very sleepy boy on the way home!
I cannot convey to you how magical the last three days have been. Thank you Pa John. Walker is the luckiest kid in the world to have you in his world. xo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beutiful pix. Say hi to your dad 4 me. Miss u all and love you. We are expecting too.

Love Sharon

Jack said...

There are no words... but here are a couple: stunning, beautiful, happy, amazing! Love you,

Betsy said...

Amazing pictures - so many places that Rob and I visited on our first Scotland trip - felt like a time-traveler. Lucky lucky people! And you can tell the seals are Scottish 'cause of their plaid coats! :-) Rock on!

Connie said...

Pa John really knows how to show a kid a good time! I'm ready to sign up for the next tour. I'm soooo happy you two were able to visit. Who can blame you for not wanting to come home. Although, I'm sure Dallas will be magical too in June and July. Yeah, right. I do believe, I do believe........