Then in the afternoon, we had our friend and Mama's neighbor over for dinner and cupcakes to celebrate Charlie. Deanna and her son Edison spent a few rowdy but sweet hours with us. They are the loveliest people and I wish that I were geographically closer to Deanna. She's from my tribe.
On the menu tonight for Charlie's birthday? I grilled summer zucchini (from a Linda's garden) and Portabella mushrooms on the BBQ, marinated in olive oil, soy sauce and a host of herbs. Then I topped that with cheddar cheese and threw it on a whole grain bun like a burger. I also grilled Pattypan squash from Deanna's garden and served a spinach salad tossed with a lemon chive dressing and heirloom tomatoes, also from Deanna's garden. For dessert, we had carrot cupcakes made with carrots from Karen's garden. I frosted them with cream cheese frosting and topped them with an orange sugared Fennel flower. Fennel tastes of licorice, so the orange, pecans, carrot cake and rich frosting made for a great mix of flavors. Charlie couldn't eat one strait, so I mushed up a cupcake, poured some milk over it and spoon fed it to him. He LOVED it.
This is the face of a boy who just realized that his birthday cake is all finished.
1 comment:
I love you all so much and these photos make me ache to be with you! Seattle today - Richland tomorrow!
Post a Comment